Sunday, April 17, 2011

Movie review: "The Oregonian"


I just watched The Oregonian with my mom before she goes off to Sarasota, Florida for a film festival (a business trip for her). And, um... yeah. Wow.

That was possibly the most confusing, effed-up movie I have seen to date. And yet... I kind of liked it. I can’t come up with any kind of summary for it, so I’ll give you IMDB’s-

A woman leaves the farm and enters the unknown.

… Okay, I can give you a little more than that. A woman, the Oregonian (Lindsay Pulsipher) starts driving along a road in the middle of a forest in- guess where- Oregon. She then gets into a car crash, followed by about 70 minutes of what-the-hell is this that keeps getting more confuser the further you get into the film.

To give you a taste of the madness, it includes (but is not limited to) a man in a green Kermit-like furry costume; rainbow urine; an old lady in a red shawl; and the aptly-named “Omelet Man” (Roger M. Mayer). And those aren’t even the weirdest parts.

But... I think I liked it. I’m not 100% sure of what happened, but I think that I liked it. The plot was confusing, but interesting. The main character was... again, interesting. I loved the music; and I thought that the transitions and lighting were excellent. And, honestly, I even (especially?) liked the confusing, “what the hell am I watching?” aspect.

Even if I’m going to have nightmares of waking up to find a smiling old lady staring at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment